OutlawZ
March 28, 2024, 04:06:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the OutlawZ clanforum.

Home Help Search Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Had to remind Thomas of some song

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had to remind Thomas of some song  (Read 4459 times)
Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

Distance from law: 8

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 10:43:11 am »

I actually liked it!  Grin Brilliant guitar melody to be honest and oh I looove the double kick drum pedals! Cheesy Don't know why the screaming though, still don't get the genre. I mean, if I would like to hear screaming, I'd open a daycare center. Although it's not misplaced here, but some variation with normal singing would have been nice. Just my opinion! Remembered me of my good old punk rock days, which is, I know, much different.
Yeah, I don't usually listen to death metal either, but Death is otherwise so good that the vocals don't bother me that much. Except on their last record where they were horrible.

Anyway, a great melody, be it one of Bach's Brandenburg concertos, Dido's White Flag,  an uplifting trance melody, whatever, can make me enjoy a beautiful sundowning, a great panoramic view, or I just close my eyes and dream of flying over gorgeous landscapes. That's what I miss about this genre. The message seems always so negative and giving a good feeling doesn't really seem to be what the composers of hard rock, metal etc. mean to spread.
First thing that would pop in my mind when I listen to your example of good music, though figuratively speaking as I actually liked it, would be: "I MUST SEED DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!". Not really something to drink a cup of tea and calm my mind with. That's why I'm curious why you identify yourself with this genre or why you atleast prefer this music to something brighter.
I guess it's still what Black Sabbath started, they noticed that life is not just flowers and happiness and someone has to say something about the less pleasant things in the world. Still, in good metal music the message, if any, is usually a sensible and 'good' one. In the case of Death though the 'scream bloody gore' stuff is pure comedy, and the guy who wrote all that, Chuck Schuldiner, was in fact a very nice guy.

I'll have to say though that most of today's metal is bad, in terms of compositions, sounds and the message too.

I'm still listening to Death so I don't know what to continue with. Well I guess this is pretty good, slightly older stuff. =)

The best twenty-something seconds are from around 5:00 onwards, I find that bit fascinating. It's a bit like what some electric guitar players do during longer solos with delays and other effects to create that spacy feedback-type of sound, only a lot better.
Report Spam   Logged

"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis
Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 19

View Profile
Windows User Level 5 Combination
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

Aaah, there's the difference with my interpretation of music. For me, melody is what comes in the first place, rhythm in the second place and the message will only come last. That's the reason why I for instance do not enjoy rap music all that much. The song is there built around a text and the melody is secondary to the text and rhythm. I like vocals, if they are complentary with the melody. The real goa or psytrance is therefor also a no-no for me, as the song is based on the hypnotic rhythm rather than a melody.
It is good that others think the opposite. Makes the world a more diverse and interesting place.

This one struck me with pleasure:
Allegri - Miserere mei, Deus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Y_ztEW1NE&feature=related
During the Summer holidays, we went to France where in a church this type of music was playing. Yes! Church music! Beautiful Renaissance's polyphony to be more specific! So soft, so much emotions! Made me think of its use as a breakdown in an uplifting trance project! How divine would that be! Cheesy The notation of these works are however hard to decipher and thus, hard to study how exactly such polyphonic melodies should be written to produce their "effect".
Report Spam   Logged

Behind every great man, there's a great harem.
Hwoarang
ex-OwZ (KICKED!!)
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 13

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 05:34:50 pm »

Raf I disagree. I think that what's most important is that melody and rythm and the message comes together well.  Sometimes a good rythm can really make a melody shine, while a melody can sometimes really make a rythm stand out. And sometimes melody and rythm gives the scenery appropriate for the message. And so on. None are first or second to anything, they're just part of the whole picture (the song.) And the way they play together makes the song, and notnecessarily their individual qualities. I think this is a perfect song to illustrate how all these elements are important to the end result. Take away one, and lose the effect of the others and so on.

Report Spam   Logged
Swift
[Finno-12] Sucks
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 17

Dont **** with me. I **** back

View Profile WWW
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 01:11:13 am »

Gull, I really like that Devine mix you posted.

The thing I like about trance music is that you can listen it while doing something else that needs your attention. Vocals are really distracting my when I try to study.

For some odd reason I enjoy the sound of bagpipes lately:
Report Spam   Logged

If you just agree with me.
You won't be wrong anymore.

Professional Godenpis atter
Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 11

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:23 pm »

Gull, I really like that Devine mix you posted.
The thing I like about trance music is that you can listen it while doing something else that needs your attention. Vocals are really distracting my when I try to study.
I'm glad you liked it! I agree, listening to trance while doing something that needs your attention works very well.

The Matrix - Protect The Innocent (Original Mix)
I don't know about this one. When the intro started to get going, I thought: AA YEAA! BRING IT!, but the breakdown was quite weak in my opinion, expected more than just some detuned saws pad. Sad
Ye, it could have been better than what it is. I like the tune though.

Listen to some good music for a change:
Dnger.. danger.. Not trance
My poor trance ears.. destroyed..

I have started to like this track the more I listen to it. I especially like the heavy tune that begins ~ 2.30.
Report Spam   Logged

Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:22 pm »

I have started to like this track the more I listen to it. I especially like the heavy tune that begins ~ 2.30.
Yeeahh, and what exactly is heavy about that? Bleh. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

~ Miles Davis
Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 09:17:28 am »

'Energetic' or 'powerfull' might have been a better choice of word. But please, enlighten me with some heavy music Wink

Anyway, this is nice:
Report Spam   Logged

Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2011, 09:37:08 am »

'Energetic' or 'powerfull' might have been a better choice of word. But please, enlighten me with some heavy music Wink
Well I don't know, I just happened to be listening to this:

I think it's pretty heavy, as lot of the late 60s psychedelic and progressive stuff is.
Report Spam   Logged

~ Miles Davis
Hwoarang
ex-OwZ (KICKED!!)
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 13

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »

Great. That kind of 60-70's lsd kind of music is pretty damn cool.

How about something that isn't going at 200 bpm and isn't electronica/trance?

Report Spam   Logged
Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:11 pm »

Beautiful Thomas, really. And Jakob, thanks a lot for introducing me to Selu Vibra - Divine (Original mix), I keep checking the forums daily because of that song. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 03:46:39 pm »

Hello!

I have listen through your youtube playlist, and I have to say that I like the most of the tracks alot! The tracks I liked the most:
- Ace Da Brain - Magic Waters. Very special track I must say. Tune is amazing. Very nice.
- Wandii - No love lost. Really nice and calm tune!
- Josh Ferrin & Alan Morris - Precious Time. Nice.
- Scirocco - Scirocco (Alex Morph remix). Great middle part!
- DJ Gard - Nature 2.0 (Original Mix). 3.30 and forward: great!

(btw, your playlist contains the same track twice, nr 2 and 4, but perhaps it isn't a mistake? Wink)

Sure! Can it get any calmer than this swedish piano classic?:

Have you come across with Aly & Fila before? Two tracks by them that I have started to like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYKjCEPWd8&feature=related

Also I found this track a couple of weeks ago. Really nice, but probably not your taste of trance.
Report Spam   Logged

Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 08:04:23 pm »

Haha Gull, I didn't notice that track was twice in the playlist! Thanks for letting me know! Wink
Aly&Fila, ofcourse! They are amazing producers aswell, though their tracks are usually not as melodic as I would like them to be. Smiley But Rising Sun is indeed a great one!
Had not heard of Ernesto vs Bastian & Kay Wilder yet and indeed, it's not the trance I'm used to listen to, but the middle part is actually quite great! Smiley
I added the following one to my playlist, perhaps you like it as much as I do!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:06:48 pm by Rafman » Report Spam   Logged

Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »

Nice nice!

Got to say that I still like old trance more than this new kind of trance. Nowadays every trance track is build in the same way.
Tracks like those aren't made anymore:

Report Spam   Logged

Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »

Got to say that I still like old trance more than this new kind of trance. Nowadays every trance track is build in the same way.

Well, I can't disagree with both of them being amazing tracks. Carte Blanche is one that I've played many many times and I never got bored of it. The part starting after the breakdown is simply wonderful.

I must say, I've read some books about producing trance and read a lot of forums as well as spoke to some producers.
The trance build-up is  Every trance song you'll listen to, you'll always hear the same build-up even in the newer songs. It is actually there for a reason and there are even specific rules on it (for example how many bars the intro should take). There are always some cowboys who come up with something new, but those tracks rarely work out well.
What is new in the sound of uplifting trance (which is more a subdivision of trance like classic trance is one) is the use of the rolling bassline and the orchestral breakdown instead of the (in my opinion still) overused hypersawpads. These make the song feel "lighter", warmer, more emotional and well yeah, more up lifting (= making happy).

But it's all opinions. Smiley I like the majority of the trance tracks, except for goa/psytrance, which is a bit too monotone for me. I'm a classical educated music player and (if I may be so free as to say) composer, so that's why I define myself more with the uplifting trance, because of the beautiful orchestral breakdowns. Again, it's all opinions. I like the tracks you post and listen to them more than once, so I won't mind if you keep doing so!
Report Spam   Logged

Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2012, 01:28:37 am »

I'm drunk as a dolphin but here's some seriously good music for you:

A hint of the 70s prog glory but still with a modern touch. Listen to the keyboards if nothing else.
Report Spam   Logged

~ Miles Davis
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: