OutlawZ
March 28, 2024, 03:58:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the OutlawZ clanforum.

Home Help Search Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Had to remind Thomas of some song

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had to remind Thomas of some song  (Read 4458 times)
Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

Distance from law: 8

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:35 pm »

All right, I have heard of that Spotify-thing, but I never tried it out until now. It seems OK, but I couldn't find a lot of stuff I searched for there, particularly older music. Like this!

Or this!

But I'll keep looking, for something else maybe. Thanks for the links and instructions! =)
Report Spam   Logged

"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis
Benn0
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 65532

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 08:42:34 pm »

Yep, Spotify is godly, I don't know how I managed without it!

http://invitify.fleo.se/ works form time to time when they do have invites.

Report Spam   Logged

Swift
[Finno-12] Sucks
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 17

Dont **** with me. I **** back

View Profile WWW
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 03:05:06 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbPRHntLho&feature=feedu
Report Spam   Logged

If you just agree with me.
You won't be wrong anymore.

Professional Godenpis atter
Hwoarang
ex-OwZ (KICKED!!)
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 13

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 01:11:23 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 11

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:23 am »

Great topic, I must say!

Report Spam   Logged

Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

Distance from law: 19

View Profile
Windows User Level 5 Combination
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

Oooh, how I love this topic. I remember well listening to Jakob's 4 strings - sunrise, discovering its simple, but beautiful melody combined with powerful driving bass and drums. Turned me on completely. After listening to that track multiple times, I started wondering how this music could give me such a feeling. It's weird, whenever I listened to uplifting trance tracks, I suddenly get a feeling of becoming really emotional, seeing the beauty in the nature around us. It made me realise in what a gorgeous world we live and nowadays I can intensively enjoy panoramic views, something I didn't have an eye for before starting to listen to trance.
Sometimes when the sun is downing, I even walk outside with my iPhone playing these tracks to just gaze at the colorful skies. Amazing what a powerful and emotional feeling this music can give you!

Playing the piano is great and the last year I haven't done anything but improvising, but I got bored of always making the same tone. So I thought, hey, what not starting to make Trance myself and combine orchestra (since I love classical music) and electronical music, just like incredible producers like Andy Blueman, Illitheas, Ronny K and so many more do. Here's the result of a first attempt I made (You might have heard it at LXA, where I also posted it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mL1RqoL5sY&feature=channel_video_title

Anyway, if you want to discover the tracks I like, here's my channel with an uplifting trance playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/user/drPokkuri#p/c/49CDD8C11B57B1A2

Funny, about 5 years ago, I was almost completely against electronic music, because it just seemed to be so easy to make. In fact, one year after starting making it myself, I now know that 1) It's more difficult than improvising a good song on the piano. 2) these producers are like the conductors of orchestras: it's not 1 instrument they play, but up to 80 at the same time. 3) Many producers even make their sound starting from a single sine wave themself, so even the physics of sound play a role in the production! Amazing! With my love for this music, my respect for its producers has grown a lot and I've learnt to keep an open mind for almost every genre in music.

If you're not convinced, just take your time to listen to these two tracks and make sure to really watch the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxXv8BnosOs&feature=channel_video_title&noredirect=1

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:55:20 pm by Rafman » Report Spam   Logged

Behind every great man, there's a great harem.
Hwoarang
ex-OwZ (KICKED!!)
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »

I think it's pretty much the same for every genre. There's a lot of crap out there, and there are some pretty good stuff, and some amazing stuff. But I think that the main thing is that you know what it is that you're coducting. The arrangement needs to fit the mood of the music, and I think that the best example of that is in the hall of the mountain king by grieg:

It starts out simplistic, and as the theme and mood grows the orchestra grows. (even in this remix.)

And I think thats a big problem for techno music. Suddenly the makers get all the power. There's no big limits anymore, and it's too easy to overkill something.  And the important sections drowns in the bombasticness of it all. Especially when the creator doesn't really understand the strenghts and weaknesses of all the instruments he's using.  However, when it's done right, it can result in something that you've never seen before. Even if the creator doesn't know the instruments at all:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:24:16 pm by Hwoarang » Report Spam   Logged
Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2011, 05:00:44 pm »

Ha! The second one is great!  Cheesy
But the instruments used in the example aren't really hard to play. If an unexperienced guy presses a piano key, the same sound will be produced as when an experienced guy does so. Same goes with the drums. Both are not difficult to play. The difficulty lies in the coördination of your extremities to make more complex melodies/rhythms. Other instruments like the strings, the oboe etc can generate duoharmonic melodies at most, but their difficulty lies in that their tone's based on how the instrument is made vibrate.

On the first one: techno for one isn't really my thing. It is not really hard to make. The instruments used in techno compositions are mainly: kickdrum, hats, snare/clap, subbass/midbass and lead and if we're lucky, we get a pad consisting of only 2 detuned saw waves. A good remix in my opinion will honour the complexity of the remixed song. One could for example remix canon's pachelbel an extremely simple melody, but the canon itself will never be well translated in the techno genre, so it's ridiculous to remix it. Same goes for Grieg's Hall of the mountain king. Just taking the first notes, speeding it up and putting it on repeat isn't what I understand under making a decent remix.
Here's another example:

Love the moonlight sonata and love this producer, but this remix is just ridiculous. They should leave the classical pieces alone. I'm not saying the combination with classical music is not possible, but atleast the producer should be original with it or create something of his own.
Report Spam   Logged

Hwoarang
ex-OwZ (KICKED!!)
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2011, 07:24:55 pm »

Personally I think the mountain king one works very well. Grieg thought it was a completely over the top song when he composed it, and I think the remix manages to do that even more. And it isn't just a repeat of the original. Actually I'm pretty sure that the Social Network pretty much stole the layout of the song that 2PM did.

Both the piano and drums are hard for people who don't know how to play them. it's not just about the complexity it's about bringing out the melody anc accenting it. You can make some of the most haunting songs with simple strokes if you just do it right.

Overdo it and you end up with this:

Do it just right and you end up with these:

And as I'm sure you know, it's not easy to just come up with these by yourself.
Report Spam   Logged
Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

"Raf - ID (Preview)" Yes, I have listen to it before and I'm really, really impressed! I particularly like it around 1.10 and forward.

Haha, mountain king by grieg. I remember so well the panic this piece gave me when I was around ~ 5. I got sooo scared by it  Wink

Music should be simple and playfull. Much of the today's music is unfortunately over the top, luckily there is good old music!
Two instruments, simple and playfull: Jan Johansson - Stepp, min stepp (1967)
Report Spam   Logged

Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »

By looking through your youtube profile, Raf, it seems to me like you are very into trance Smiley I can only recognize two songs in your playlist (Binary finary and Beyond This Earth), the others are unknown to me. So -> Adding your profile to my web favourites.

I really like the tracks you listed in your post posted before your last one, especially Afternova - Serenity. IMO the tune resembles to asian music in some way, and I'm quite fond of asian tunes.

Yes, I will put up some trance tracks whcih I have started to like. Hopefully you haven't heard them Wink

I guess the 3rd and the 4th track are uplifting trance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E7NryZbfy4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_8_y_JIBA&feature=related
Report Spam   Logged

Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 09:20:52 pm »

Hehehe, I knew 1 to 3.  Grin
4 was a splendid discovery. Such a warm tune and what a breakdown! Looooove it!  Kiss

Keep em coming!  Cheesy

My favourite at the moment:
Report Spam   Logged

Gullveig
Welcome TO Africa
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »

Ace Da Brain - Magic Waters
Nice!

Hehehe, I knew 1 to 3.
Heh, I was almost expecting that  Wink 

Have you seen this list before: http://www.trancetop1000.com/TranceTop1000-2010.html ? Quite many classics there, and many of hte tracks that have been posted in this topic are listed there..

I think this track sounds quite good. Heard it today for the first time.
The Matrix - Protect The Innocent (Original Mix)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:42:19 pm by Gullveig » Report Spam   Logged

Sakmongkol
Outlaw
Forum-whore

Distance from law: 8

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 10:25:29 pm »

Listen to some good music for a change:
Report Spam   Logged

"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis
Rafman
Outlaw
>100 posts

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:18 pm »

Have you seen this list before: http://www.trancetop1000.com/TranceTop1000-2010.html ? Quite many classics there, and many of hte tracks that have been posted in this topic are listed there..

Didn't see it yet, interesting list. It's in my favourites now, gotta check EVERY song! Cheesy The top 10 seems quite obvious, though I didn't expect Gaia - Tuvan (original mix) to be so high, which is definitely a good thing though as it's one of my favourites aswell!

The Matrix - Protect The Innocent (Original Mix)

I don't know about this one. When the intro started to get going, I thought: AA YEAA! BRING IT!, but the breakdown was quite weak in my opinion, expected more than just some detuned saws pad. Sad

Listen to some good music for a change:

I actually liked it!  Grin Brilliant guitar melody to be honest and oh I looove the double kick drum pedals! Cheesy Don't know why the screaming though, still don't get the genre. I mean, if I would like to hear screaming, I'd open a daycare center. Although it's not misplaced here, but some variation with normal singing would have been nice. Just my opinion! Remembered me of my good old punk rock days, which is, I know, much different.
Anyway, a great melody, be it one of Bach's Brandenburg concertos, Dido's White Flag,  an uplifting trance melody, whatever, can make me enjoy a beautiful sundowning, a great panoramic view, or I just close my eyes and dream of flying over gorgeous landscapes. That's what I miss about this genre. The message seems always so negative and giving a good feeling doesn't really seem to be what the composers of hard rock, metal etc. mean to spread.
First thing that would pop in my mind when I listen to your example of good music, though figuratively speaking as I actually liked it, would be: "I MUST SEED DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!". Not really something to drink a cup of tea and calm my mind with. That's why I'm curious why you identify yourself with this genre or why you atleast prefer this music to something brighter.

To continue with Trance (Not that that's the only thing that should be posted here!)
Hoyaa pres. Lunar System - On the Edge (original mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsqesWBwfo&feature=related

Kumbaya my friends, kum-ba-ya!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: